Psalm 134 - "Behold and Bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who by night stand in the house of the Lord! Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and bless the Lord. The Lord who made heaven and earth bless you from Zion!

1.16.2007

Day 11

Ahhh...today was the first day of school for the new semester. This module I am taking Synoptic Gospels taught by Stephen Venable. Just after one day, I know that the class will be amazing. The one downside is that with three hours of homework every night, it seriously cuts into the time that I have to 'behold and bless the Lord.' Thankfully though, one of our assignments tonight was to meditate on John 1:14,
"And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."
Now I have probably read this passage hundreds of times, however tonight I got incredibly frustrated with it. In class we discussed how we have to understand the identity of Jesus before we can comprehend the works of Jesus. This is very true. We have to understand that Jesus is the son of God who is healing the sick and casting out demons. Why is this important? Because, if we try to figure out the identity of Jesus by His works, then we just think that He was a great, sinless man with supernatural powers. While that language might seem harsh, that is what I discovered that I believed about Jesus tonight. I didn't know that I had a wrong perception until I tried to wrestle with the mystery of the incarnation. I thought that I had it all down, but it turns out that if you think that you have it all figured out, then you are probably going about it all wrong. So, that is why I am frustrated, tonight I went from having it all figured out, to resigning myself to a lifetime of gazing at a mystery that I might never comprehend. Ok, start interceding for me...Eph 1:17- wisdom and revelation...Oh, God.

P.S - It is January 16th... and my 25th birthday!

3 comments:

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Happy Birthday! Charity "Birthday-Girl" Bates. We love you! Chris, Yvette, Sasah & Zachary

Jerry James said...

Are "glory" and "fullness" kind of the same? It seems that when the word became flesh it was a major step towards fullness and so we were more able to behold His glory.
I don't know what any of that means, it's just stuff I thought.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHARITY! Tarah, Gari and Elliott are all coming to Little Rock to celebrate our families January birthdays (Nathan's is today too).
Why don't you just jump in with them and come on . . . we'll put you in the birthday pot too.

Amanda said...

Happy birthday, Charity!