Psalm 134 - "Behold and Bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who by night stand in the house of the Lord! Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and bless the Lord. The Lord who made heaven and earth bless you from Zion!

1.19.2007

Day 14

Tonight was just one of those nights when I leave the prayer room feeling like a Martha. This is what I mean.
I left the Ferguson's house at about 11:30 pm, which gave me just enough time to make the trek from Raymore to the house of prayer, find a good seat and then get to a prayer room team meeting at midnight. The meeting lasted until 1:30am, but then we had a prayer room team leaders meeting that went until 2 am. I finally settle into my seat as Emily Russell begins to sing. I open my bible and then remember that I have about 25 emails waiting for me that have to be answered by morning. So I open up my laptop, typing furiously because I know that I have an e-12 that meets at 3am. I finish my last email at 2:55, sigh deeply, say a quick, "I love you Lord," and head to the briefing room. E-12 tonight was probably the best part of my night. We just went through our bible and picked out descriptions of the New Jerusalem for an hour. (Abraham was looking for a city whose builder and maker was God!) It was really good. Then on to the 4-6am intercession set where I was running sound. Finish that up with a de-brief til 6:15am and that was my night. Unfortunately, it was one of those nights where you can be 'on base' all night, but just feel like your heart didn't have a chance to connect. Just like Martha, distracted, and concerned with much serving and missing the chance to commune with the God-Man in her living room. Jesus tells her that only 'one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken from her.' Now what is that good part? Luke 10:39,
"And she also had a sister named Mary, who sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word."
Now you might be saying to yourself, 'That passage does not have the word behold in it, I want my money back!" Well, before you get too irate, I will share something from class this week. We were told that in the Gospels there are two significant ways that Jesus is described, Word/Wisdom and Light/Image. Contained in these two descriptions of Jesus are the two responses that are needed to the revelation of God. In the same way that we behold the image of God, we sit and hear the words of Jesus. This is the same heart posture of sitting before the Lord and letting our senses engage with the beautiful God.

So I will let my life be an object lesson for all: Don't let yourself be distracted by 'important things', but make every effort (even if it means turning off your computer) to gaze upon the Lord and hear the words of the Living God.

2 comments:

Jerry James said...

Just read a chapter last night out of Bob Sorge's book "In His Face".
Really good. Talking about the importance of hearing Jesus. We hear a lot of stuff, but what does Jesus say? It is significant that Mary sat at the feet of Jesus and "heard his word".
Jesus . . . I'm listening.

Unknown said...

I agree...many times I have had those days where from 2pm to 6 in the morning it is go, go, go.

Be Still and know that I am God!- Ps. 46:10

JD