Psalm 134 - "Behold and Bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who by night stand in the house of the Lord! Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and bless the Lord. The Lord who made heaven and earth bless you from Zion!

1.22.2007

Day 17

So I am still looking at the incarnation, and as I was re-reading Luke 1 I stumbled across verse 38,
"Then Mary said, 'Behold, the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.' And the angel departed from her."
I am sure many people over the centuries have tried to figure out just how much Mary understood about what the angel was telling her. If she truly understood all of the ramifications, all of the suffering and rejection that she would have to endure in addition to watching her eldest Son be tortured and crucified on a Roman cross, would she still have said yes? Behold the maidservant of the Lord! This is such a striking sentence. Maidservant, one who will completely obey the will of her Lord regardless of the risk on her part. I know that God chose her because He saw that this response was firmly in place in her heart. She may not have known exactly what was happening in that instant and even less of an idea what the future would hold, but she knew that God was faithful and so she knew that she could say yes to Him. Because, if you can't trust God, then who can you trust?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm loving reading your stuff, Charity. Keep it coming! (One can't ever hear too much about the incarnation, yes?)

Anonymous said...

You write beautifully. I really enjoy reading your blog. Hope you don't mind me reading it, even though we don't know each other. :)