Psalm 134 - "Behold and Bless the Lord, all you servants of the Lord, who by night stand in the house of the Lord! Lift up your hands in the sanctuary and bless the Lord. The Lord who made heaven and earth bless you from Zion!

2.02.2007

Day 28

Today was our last day of Synoptic Gospels and after 3 weeks of studying the life of Christ Stephen decided the best thing to do would be to watch the Passion of Christ. I cried for two hours. Then tonight (being Thursday) I led our prayer room team in communion. Knowing that I wouldn't get very far without weeping like a baby, I decided that we were going to do the Finland five. The Finland five is quite simple, although it has a long and illustrious history. Basically what you do it give the group a verse or a phrase and just wait in silence for five minutes. Tonight, I used a phrase that Stephen said in class yesterday,
"When you think about the cross, if the first thing you think about is doctrine (i.e. atonement, propitiation, justification etc), then you have missed the point. When you look at the cross you must think, 'that is my best friend up there.'"
And after that, we waited and minutes ticked by. Silently tears streaked down my face. It is amazing how long five minutes can be especially when you picture yourself standing at the foot of the cross watching the only man who ever truly loved you die. It sounds intense and truly, it is. It is amazing how far He was willing to go to win my heart. I love Him more today than I ever have before. But don't just take my word for it, check out Barclay's Blog, I would like to think that His whole meditation was sparked by the Finland five...

7 comments:

Jonathan said...

Yes, I give much credit to the Finland Five, its by far one of the more wieghty habits I need to pick up. He is good, amidst all the words its hard to articulate tears and the throb in one's heart but yeah... mad props for the briefing.

Emily Meagan said...

Thank you for that thought to think upon as I lay my head down to sleep this morning. That quote is hitting me somewhere deep, down inside.

Anonymous said...

That's a powerful quote. No other response is fitting other than....actually, I can't think of anything except silence.
tracy

Amanda said...

Wow.... wow. Finishing off Synoptic Gospels with watching the Passion...

Wow.

I didn't even watch the movie, and I'm getting messed up...

Jonathan said...

Right back at you. I appreciate your audience and it really compells me to write more knowing that some one is actually reading it, let alone someone like yourself, one with their head screwed on staright and the raw power of eternity being awakened inside. I duelly enjoy reading your postings, it is a deep well that speaks, may you be blessed abundantly. (Man that sounded so impersonal, good times....)

Anonymous said...

Those five minutes of silence in our Prayer Room team were amazing. God touched me too. In those five minutes I was taken to the cross and my heart came alive like it hasn't in a while!

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Finland Five...meditating upon my friend on the Cross. I am going to do it this morning.

Charity...you got any news for us?